Mike,

> I've run into a problem lately.  I have a ton of spam coming in that is
> being scored quite highly and properly, but they tried to hide their spam
> message inside a zip file.  It's not actually a virus, so the zip doesn't
> get hit by ClamAV.  The problem is that Banned status seems to be higher
> priority than Spam, and we generate a warning message to a user if they
> get a banned file (whereas spam is quarantined with no message and Viruses
> are just discarded with no notification).

Indeed, banned has a higher priority than spam.

> So, this stuff is all getting blocked but the zip files within are
> generating a ton of banned file notifications to my users.  Is there any
> easy way to solve this? I notice that the Spam score is still calculated
> even for Banned notifications - perhaps there could be a threshold where
> if a message with a Banned file type has a certain Spam score it will
> discard it and not send a notification?

The spam score is only available if it is cached from some previous
check of a message with the same contents, or in case of multi-recipient
mail where some recipients are set to bypass banned checks. If there is
no other need for spam checking and a message contains a banned contents,
then spam checking is skipped.

I dont't see any obvious solution, except to (temporarily?) disable
banned recipient notifications, of lift a ban on zip and let spam checks
take over.