>> But I still feel there's something throttling amavis with the current
>> hardware. This machine groans on passing 900 - 1100 msgs/hour?  I
>> think it can do a lot better.
>
>  You are definitely right; it seems to me there is still something
>very wrong with your setup.  Your messages should be taking no more
>than 2 or 3 seconds each to go through amavisd.

the FreeBSD harware probe showing "Pentium 4 CPU" is  single Pentium4, 2 GHz,
not a "Pentium 4 CPU" quad :)

>  Have you double-checked what DNSBLs

We check RBL pre-DATA and again in sa.  the pre-DATA RBLs are all logging 0-1
secs RBL answer delay, and I can't find any log lines of RBL timeouts.

>and other network services you
>are querying from SpamAssassin, and made sure you are not querying a
>dead or blocked DNSBL

we've all been bitten by that problem, but we cannot find any evidence of that.

>, an unconfigured or misconfigured Razor, or
>something of the kind?
> A network query which was taking 20 seconds or
>so to timeout and fail on each message might explain your performance
>numbers.

pyzor, razor2, dcc all are showing up in amavis log lines with scores.  I can't
see where their answer times are logged.

We don't have a firewall pb since the machine is outside the firewall.

Len