>> But I still feel there's something throttling amavis with the current
>> hardware. This machine groans on passing 900 - 1100 msgs/hour?
>> I think it can do a lot better.
>
>The quickest overview on the sanity of amavisd/SpamAssassin is what
>amavisd-nanny shows. Set $nanny_details_level to 2 in amavisd.conf.

Starting amavisd.
Error in config file "/usr/local/etc/amavisd.conf": Global symbol
"$nanny_details_level" requires explicit package name at
/usr/local/etc/amavisd.conf line 64.

>A command 'amavisd-nanny -h' shows the legend. See if all amavisd
>child processes are busy. See in what state they are spending most
>of their time.

but amavisd-nanny runs fine on command line, there's just no traffic now, after
hours.

turning off dcc, pyzor, razor decreases the already small delays sending to
amavis smaller, but the delays were already down in the dirt.

9:41:25 delay=1.6,
19:41:38 delay=0.96,
19:41:45 delay=1.5,
19:41:46 delay=1.7,
19:42:05 delay=0.76,
19:42:16 delay=2.6,
19:43:08 delay=5.6,
19:43:17 delay=97, <<<<<<<<<< 150 KB msg
19:43:55 delay=1.5,
19:43:55 delay=1.5,
19:44:37 delay=1.7,
19:44:48 delay=1.5,
19:46:00 delay=2.1,
19:46:57 delay=2.2,
19:47:14 delay=2.6,
19:47:15 delay=1.3,
19:47:18 delay=0.78,
19:47:44 delay=1.4,
19:47:48 delay=1.7,
19:48:32 delay=6,
19:48:46 delay=1.7,
19:49:02 delay=0.93,
19:49:04 delay=2.8,
19:49:04 delay=1.7,
19:49:30 delay=1.6,
19:49:37 delay=0.96,
19:49:43 delay=0.73,
19:49:45 delay=0.94,
19:49:47 delay=1.1,
19:49:48 delay=2.5,
19:49:49 delay=0.77,
19:49:51 delay=1.1,
19:49:52 delay=1.7,
19:50:21 delay=0.75,

So, at least, dcc/pyzor/razor give a significant slow-down.  I'll see in
business hours Tue if the machine can keep up.

>The second thing to look at is a TIMING report (at log level 2).

been doing that a lot

>If it turns out (as it probably will) that a bottleneck is within
>SpamAssassin

yes, sa-check is claims about 90% of the total TIMING

>, my suggestion is to install SpamAssassin from its
>SVN trunk. This is just a standard Perl module install procedure
>(perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install; sa-update).

I'll try that.

is sa 3.3 available as a tarball somewhere?

compiled the required apr-svn and svn 1.4 but:

svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/spamassassin/trunk
spamassassin-trunk
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libkrb5.so: Undefined symbol
"initialize_asn1_error_table_r"

... so I'm asking around about that apparently Google-common problem

>Also, switch Bayes to MySQL if you still have it in a bdb database.

yes, it's bdb.  I'll get MySQL running tomorrow

thanks
Len