Mark Martinec wrote:
>> I haven't tried the SNFMilter, but invoking milters from Postfix
>> should be pretty straightforward

<snip/>

> P.S. there was a thread in July 2009 on the postfix-users mailing list
> about a postfix issue, triggered by the use of smfi_quarantine in SNFMilter:

<snip/>

> A patch for Postfix was posted there. I don't know if the trouble call
> has been avoided in a current version of SNFMilter.

<snip/>

We have included the postfix patch in our SNFMilter distribution for
those who build postfix from source.

Also, since the trouble is caused only when a milter (any milter - not
just SNFMilter) sends back a quarantine response and multiple messages
are passed during a single SMTP session, the problem can be avoided by
configuring SNFMilter so that the quarantine response is not used.

If you want SNFMilter to inject headers that will later be passed on to
amavis and SA while avoiding the quarantine issue then modify the
default SNFMilter configuration in the <milter/> section to the following:

  <white action='Accept'/>
  <caution action='Allow'/>
  <black action='Allow'/>
  <truncate action='Allow'/>
</connect>
<scan>
  <result code='20' action='Reject'/>
  <result code='1' action='Accept'/>
||</scan>

If you really want to see everything then you could eliminate the
<result code='20'.../> line from the <scan/> section.

You will probably also want to adjust the <xheaders/> section to turn on
the <result/> option as in:

|<result on-off='on'>X-MessageSniffer-Scan-Result</result>|

This will emit an X- header containing the scan result code (rule
group). You can then create SA rules to add weight for the different
result codes. You can find result codes documented here:

http://www.armresearch.com/support/articles/software/snfServer/core.jsp

A good guide to what weights to start with might be this excerpt from
our SNF4SA plugin:

|snf_result 1     sa_score -5.0 short_circuit_no
||snf_result 20    sa_score 6.0  short_circuit_yes
||snf_result 40    sa_score 2.5  short_circuit_no
||snf_result 47-62 sa_score 4.0  short_circuit_no
||snf_result 63    sa_score 3.5  short_circuit_no

More on customizing the X- header options here:

http://www.armresearch.com/support/articles/software/snfServer/config/node/logs/scan/xheaders/index.jsp

More on SNFMilter in general here:

http://www.armresearch.com/products/SNFMilter.jsp

Hope this is helpful,