Thomas,

> Regarding the "few milliseconds" -> are you sure that we are talking
> abust "just a few" of them? Time ago I dedicated 1 GB tmpfs to each
> Amavis Host, and it seemed that this really improved I/O performance.
> However, I did not run any benchmarks proving this.

It very much depends on the file system in use, and on disks behind it.

Back in the old days when I started my work on amavis we were running
Tru64 Unix on Alphas, and there it made a huge difference when I introduced
a permanently open temporary file, and temporary directories that stay
undeleted for the lifetime of a process. This is because meta operations
on a file system (creating/deleting a file and especially a directory) are
very expensive on a classical file system.

My next experience in this area is when I was trying to benchmark
amavisd on a personal computer, with commodity ATA disks. It turned out
that due to a disk cache and the typical ATA disk lying to the OS that
it has completed writes, there was hardly any difference between using
a ramdisk and using a cached ATA disk for a temporary area in amavisd.

SCSI disks are not in the habit of lying about completed writes, so
it depends more on the choice of a file system. With modern journalling
file systems or UFS2 the penalty of fs meta operation is hardly greater
that disk I/O. There would be some performance difference between
a ram disk and a journalling fs on a true disk, although not that much.

But yes, the true answer lies in benchmarking each platform.

> Cleanup cronjobs are running each night and removing files older than
> 2 days. Max allowed mail size is 100MB, 40 Amavis processes on each
> host. I never noticed tmpfs filling up, I'm not even monitoring it.
> However, if my front MX servers queue is filling up, immediately at
> least two people get a notice.

Yes, monitoring a queue filling-up suffices.