Hmm,
with these set:
$enable_db = 1;
$enable_global_cache = 1;

I thought that if I were to send a message to one recipeint, then
resend the same message to another recipient (or the same recipient) a
few moments later, that the scan would be bypassed on the second and
subsequent passes due to caching, but that does not seem to be the
case. I tried it with 2.5.4, 2.6.2 and 2.6.4.

one pass: SA check: 6874 (94%)97,
another pass: SA check: 6834 (94%)96,