On 04/11/2017 12:16 PM, Christian König wrote:
Am 11.04.2017 um 18:05 schrieb Felix Kuehling:
On 17-04-11 12:01 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
One issue with this per-driver enable_cik option is that if the user
only enables it in the driver where it's disabled by default, without
also disabling it in the driver where it's enabled by default, it's back
to the current situation where both drivers try to use the same GPUs,
and it's up to chance which one actually gets to.

That's why I was thinking about also having a shared command line option
respected by both drivers, e.g. amd_cik_driver=amdgpu/radeon . That
would be the preferred way to choose the driver at runtime.
The shared option could not be in either amdgpu or radeon. Otherwise
we'd create a cross-dependency between the drivers. It would have to be
in drm, I guess?

Yes, but to be honest that sounds more and more like shooting with
cannonballs on birds to me.

At least I was fine with the per driver config option.

Regards,
Christian.

Any reason we can't just rip out the PCI IDs for CIK in radeon? If distros then can enable both drivers the kernel will load the correct one based on where the PCI IDs are being probed?

Or are there drm ioctl issues that make that incompatible?

Thanks,
Shawn

Note that the per-driver enable_cik option will still be needed to be
able to override the kernel command line when manually loading the
drivers.
Why? I could make the shared option writable in
/sys/module/drm/parameters/amd_cik_driver so you can change it before

Regards,
   Felix

Maybe there's a better way to handle both cases that I haven't
thought of.