Does anyone have an audio file (.mp3 or .wav etc) of one of these transmitters? Being VERY new to AM and having a burning desire to build something that keeps the smoke inside the parts, I would like to venture out on this project!

Going WAY back (and yes this even includes my CB days back in the 70s) it was VERY important for my station to sound CLEAN! I really like the D-104 but not too fond of the sound quality. I suspect that the D-104 was not matched to the radio correctly.

So if you have a recording of one of these transmitters, what mic are you using? What mic is recommended? I own a Shure 444-D, 526T, D-104SE, D-104 unamplified with the 10-DA head, various Yaesu Mics, and Heil. I was even thinking of putting a HC-5 element in a D-104 (which sits nice on my belly!) and scraping the internal amp. But then again, the HC-5 was designed for SSB.

Garbage in, garbage out. I think an audio circuit should be designed with all the intended parts in mind. But then again, I really don't know what I'm talking about yet. Building this transmitter will teach me...and I want to learn! How do you put a 2000 ohm mic on a circuit designed for a 600 ohm mic?

I have a lot of reading to do and maybe some of this is covered in the text. But I would sure like to hear one!

My other hobby is High End Audio. I like tubes! I've owned Mark Levinson and it sounds great! But I like tubes better! I'm hoping this Class E transmitter "sounds" good! KFI here is Southern CA does not have the same romance that it did when it had tube transmitters.

What about a hybrid design? Tube audio circuit into a mosfet final amplifier? Some High End Audio companies use tube pre amps and solid state amplifiers with their integrated amps. Its just a thought.

OK, teach me! I want to learn! Nobody is going to call me an appliance operator!

Dino...K6RIX