Hi Jim and AM gang,
While I was here at the keyboard yesterday I decided to turn on the HF rig
for to have something to listen to while I worked.  I started at 29.999 MHz
and then headed down, sometimes I do a continuous tune to see what's out
there.  I wasn't watching the dial as I was tuning and heard some SSTV
signals.  I looked up to see the frequency was 27.7 something!  SSTV ON
11M------Gezz what a waste!

Then I keep going down to check for possible DX on 12m and then I heard a
very loud sounding British station using SSB.  It was around 25.500 and he
was using a Icom 756 Pro!  He sounded very nice and he didn't act like the
typical CBer with the Jerk lingo.  He described his antenna as a monobander
up 60 plus feet with a boom nearing 30 feet!!!  It just seems weird to hear
a bootlegger on SSB using ham gear that sounds better than 99.9 % of the Ham
stations I hear on the bands.

I guess I am getting old, I remember some of these guys using Collins 32v's,
KW-1's, Johnson 500's and Henry amplifiers in the mid 1970s.  In fact I got
two of my Johnson 500 from CBers that burned them up and didn't know what to
do with them.

One time I was tuning a dead 10m band and went up above 29.7 I heard loggers
up in the NW.  I haven't heard them since.  You never know what you will see
or hear out of these guys.  I am not sure they still do this but 20 years
ago you could catch "freebanders" below the Ham CW bands using Drake,
Kenwood, and Yaesu equipment.

It has never been easier to get a Ham license, it just doesn't make sense to
me.

73 de jay..