On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 18:19:45 +0000 "Donald Chester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> >Why not good ol' American
> >made Ten Tec gear throughout?
> Better still, why not expertly designed, custom built homebrew rigs
designed
> pecisely for the application at W1AW?  I'm sure the League has the
funds and
> technical expertise available.

What's the point? I would rather my League dollars go for more important
issues. If you feel that strong about it, maybe you should build them a
homebrew rig and donate it.

> Nothing has worked.  Remember Novice Enhancement?  Then the no-code
Tech?
> Volunteer exams?  Now 5 wpm code and "restructuring"?   Despite this
series
> of measures that have progressively  relaxed the standards, the
anticipated
> hoards of newcamers to amateur radio never materialised.  A
substantial
> number of existing Technicians and Generals have upgraded, but the
total
> amateur radio population is still dwindling.  Bottom line:   appliance
is BORING!

I guess you've never operated the VHF or UHF frequencies. Homebrewing is
alive and well, unusual antenna designs abound, propagation anomalies
keep life interesting, digital modes, satellite operations, EME, lots of
frequencies to work with, etc. Nothing is ever boring here. You need to
expand your horizons beyond the 1.8 through 7.3 MHz frequencies.

> Regarding the League's newfound willingness to embrace AM and  classic
radio,
> the current enthusiasm for AM and other ham radio fundamentals is
about the
> only visible enthusiasm  that is left in the service/ hobby these
days.

Contesting also demonstrates visible enthusiasm.

Pete, WA2CWA

> Don, K4KYV

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com