-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Geoff Edmonson
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2003 11:43 PM
To: amradio@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] re: Ranger driving Thunderbolt

Jeff:  Please forward to AMReflector for me as I cannot mail to the
reflector from work.

The tube in the final is not what sets the loading. It is the ratio
of Xcp to Xcl in the pi-network that sets the loading.  You could replace
the 6146 with a 6AQ5 and it would only serve to melt down the 6AQ5, but
before melt down the thing would be loaded the same.  You can run 20 watt
with a 4-1000 if the loading ratio is correct.
If you need to drop the plate current (and RF output) simply add
more capacitance across the output connector (in parallel with the loading
capacitor).  The plate meter in most of these small rigs measures cathode
current.  This means it includes screen current with the plate current.  It
is possible to reduce the plate current at resonates to very little (like
5-10 ma) but he meter will show maybe 25-30 ma.  This is because as you
reduce the plate loading the screen current will increase.  This phenomenon
will cause a slight increase in RF output as the plate tuning is moved off
the dip (resonance).  You can increase the value of the screen resistor to
reduce this effect and make the cathode current meter read lower.  If a
separate power supply is used for the plate supply of the small rig then a
small variac can be used to reduce plate and screen voltage at the same time
this will allow the plate loading circuit and screen circuit to remain
unchanged while reducing output by means of a lower supply voltage.

Good Luck
John, WA5BXO