On 10 Jul 2004 at 1:05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The BC-191 tuning units went up to 12.5 mHz.   Would be possible to
> strip a few turns off some of the coils to get to 20M, I guess, but
> the things are too unstable and drifty to be acceptable for ham use
> above 75M.

However, IF You made a modification and switched to
crystal control instead of that "m.o." in the BC-191/BC-375 sets
you would likely have a VERY stable signal, quite acceptable for use on the ham
bands. I laot oguys back then added something like either
an outboard VFO or a 6C5 / 6jR crystal osc. circuit in order
to have a decent signal on 80m and 40m CW and AM with those
things. Just look in the CQ magazines from the early 1950s to
get an idea of how popular they were as conversion projects for
hams.  Years ago I had a copy of the "CQ Military Conversions
Handbook" and somehow I foolishly let it go. That was that yellow
and black paperback book with all fo the cool projects in it.

73s de AF4K, Bry