John Coleman wrote:

        This is correct, and a lot of the "pre-amped" microphones or very
good and some or not.  I used an old dynamic microphone case and pulled the
guts out of it.  It had been in a flood.  Then built a preamplifier and
condenser microphone on a small PC board and installed it in the old
microphone case.  I actually used two condenser microphone cartridges from
Radio Shack.  I don't remember the number but they were about dime size
round and thick.  I think I used three transistors but I don't remember the
circuit as that was several years ago.  My wife, Vickie, helped dye the new
spit cloth and glued it in.
See the picture at http://wa5bxo.shacknet.nu/HAMPICTURES/Pictures/Ham%20Radio/Mic.jpg The LEDs were a small optical add-on.
John, Coleman
WA5BXO

Ladies and Gentleman, please excuse my friend John.. he's always been a bit modest...

Here -are- a collection of pictures of his shack and operating position, as it was in the
summer of 2002...
http://w5omr.shacknet.nu/~wa5bxo/fd2002/

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR