SSB amps make poor AM amps, partly because they are built for the very small
average
power output/duty cycle.

I would say AL-811 is good for about 100 watts carrier output tube wise,
but the power supply may not be up for it.
Many amps of that type use voltage doubler or tripler circuits,
and stiff regulation is not their strong point.

A pair of 3-500z tubes will do 400 watts of carrier I think, if the power
supply
can handle it, and with fans, and with a 220 volt feed....

Seems quite silly when you can get 700 watts of carrier out of a pair
of 813's.
Or 300 watts carrier out of a pair of plate modulated 811a's.

If you want to get any clean power out, you likely have to run the rice box
at 15 or 20 watts so you don't get into the ALC stuff, and would need to
look
for an amp that takes less power to drive.

>From 25 to 100 watts is a big jump, even if 100 watts does not sound like a
lot.

I think 100 watts is qrp for AM, unless you work 40 meters in the day, with
a good
antenna.

On the other hand, the rice boxes make great exciters for class C rf decks!

Brett
N2DTS