I've been using linear amps in AM service for a few year now. With current band conditions, it seems to me that a goal should be at least 300 watts of carrier. Sure you can make contacts with 25-50 watts but for consistant contacts, the higher power is the best. When guys ask me about linears, I usually advise that they shouldn't waste time on any linear with a tube or tubes with less than 1000 watts of plate dissapation. One of the best off the shelf amps is the Ameritron AL-1200 and even with that amp, when I reach 1500 watts PEP on AM the scope will start to show flattopping above that level. In addition, the smaller off the shelf SSB amps do not have the necessary beefy power supply to do AM operations at the rated PEP ratings.
73,
Ken W2DTC