Barrie, you can buy push pins specially made to fit tightly into those
perf board holes and then solder your connections and parts
directly to the stakes/pins. It is a popular way of anchoring things to
perf board.  I prefer a metal chassis and terminal boards for larger
tube stuff.

However, for BOARD type construction the BEST thing is  called
VERO BOARD. It is hard to find in the USA though.