I had a good friend send me som Vero / Stripboard from the UK.  Fabulous
stuff!

For those that don't know, Vero board or Stripboard is perfboard with a
copper strip the entire length of each horizontal row of holes.  Cuts are
made to break the horizontal strip with a special cutting tool, or a drill
bit just twisted a couple times by hand.  Cuts would be made in the case of
an IC - take for example a 26-pin dip package.  You would need to cut 8
traces by twisting the drill bit between the rows where the IC is to be
inserted.  8 traces, that is unless two lined up pins from the adjacent row
connect - 1 and 16, for example.

The board is easy to use, but does take some thought in regards to layout to
minimize the need to cut traces or use jumpers.  Meccano, the same makers of
the Erector Set, offers this handy layout sheet for working with Stripboard.
See http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?11 and choose your format - word,
pdf, etc. for viewing.

If I order board myself, I get it from Rapid Electronics in the UK at
http://www.rapidelectronics.co.uk/rkmain.asp?PAGEID=80008.

I can't understand why this stuff never became popular in the US.  Then
again, I can't understand why the majority of good electronics and computer
magazines are no longer published in the USA either.

73,
de Joe, N6DGY