That is exactly the way I build a lot of stuff Barrie.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Barrie Smith
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2005 12:37 PM
To: Discussion of AM Radio
Subject: [AMRadio] Dumber than a rock question . .

Well, guys, I've built a heap of stuff over a many year period, but have
never used perfboard.

I'm in the process of building an in-shack controller for an antenna
matching device that is at the base of one of my towers.  This unit has a 90

microhenry coil therein, with four latching vacuum relays which will short
out turns as needed for matching.

Since the latching vacuum relays have no auxilery contacts, I bought four
small perfboard latching relays which will be in the control box in the
shack.  These relays will actuate the vacuum relays outside and also light a

LED, so I will know how many turns are shorted on the outside coil.

I bought some perfboard (for the first time), and took a look at it last
night.  The relays fit in the holes just fine, with a small amount of pin
sticking through the other side.

So, what the hell do I do with it?  Wrap some wire around the protruding
pins and solder it?  Put the wire in an adjacent hole and run a solder
trace?

Well, I told you it was dumb!

73, Barrie, W7ALW