VJB said -  Pete and I had a separate and direct email exchange underway,
and I feel there's no bad blood.

How can you not like a guy who works SSB DX stations on AM. Paul and I
have known each other for many years; call it friendly dueling; and I do
respect his opinions no matter how far off the wall they might be. You
should see us when we get together in person. For your info, Paul, I was
"there" when the discussion of this alternative proposal (pre-CTT) first
started to take shape. My initial reaction was that these two proposals
would give the FCC a lot to chew on as they ponder the spectrum under
their watch and the amateur radio service's continued viability in future
years.

VJB said - So now they've overreacted and are embracing the novelty of
"digital" peddled to society by commercial interests (HDTV, cellphones,
IPods), but for the hobby via a charismatic leader who is pushing a
specific digital hookup between ham radio and the Internet.

Here's a quote from the FCC:
FCC QUOTE that was part of their Discussion from a Notice of Proposed
Rule Making, 11/2004.

"As an initial matter, we note that one of the purposes of the amateur
service is to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.(1) We
believe that amateur radio operators using amateur service spectrum to
develop new communications systems are using the service in a manner that
is consistent with the basis and purpose of the amateur service. We also
believe that our Rules should not be an impediment to amateur radio
operator's development of new or improved communication systems. In this
regard, we note that the reason amateur radio operators currently may not
transmit communications that combine image emission types and data
emission types on HF frequency segments where data emissions are
authorized is not a technical reason, but rather is because our Rules do
not authorize stations to transmit both image and data emission types on
any HF frequency segments. (2) We also note that amateur radio operators
apparently have developed communication systems and technologies that
transmit both image and data emission types, and that they are using
these systems for communicating. For this reason, we are persuaded that
our Rules are not in harmony with current emission and operating
practices and that our Rules may be impeding amateur radio operators in
advancing the radio art."

Pete, wa2cwa
"Delete key works for me"