From: "Brian Carling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

(This actually refers to the British licensing of radio and TV
receivers. Both require a license and they actually go around
in vans to "ctach" and punish persons listening without a license!)

I have been told that those vans were purely "psychological warfare" and had no real means to detect receiving equipment. It was a scare tactic to frighten the public into thinking they had better purchase a licence.

I suppose they could monitor TV sweep oscillator or local oscillators in superhets, but with hundreds of sets operating in a city environment it would have been difficult to pinpoint an "unlicensed" one.

When I lived in France they had a similar law. But I went to a fleamarket and picked up an old 1930's vintage "tombstone" longwave/MW/SW broadcast receiver and used it, and nobody ever said anything. I remember it was quite a novelty amongst tenants in the apartment building, because most of them had never before seen one of those old radios actually work (this was in the early 70's).

Don k4kyv

This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout. Try it - you'll like it.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/
http://gigliwood.com/abcd/