To: "Discussion of AM Radio" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Modulator feedback

Thanks Mike. I just made a discovery about the 2A3 A-F drivers. I had a set of matched NOS RCA tubes in there. The feedback seemed to be coming from the area of those tubes more so than anywhere else. So, I exchanged them for another pair I have and it seemed to help quiet the feedback. Obviously, microphonics in the 2A3's is a factor. Next I looked for shields for the tubes, but have none, so I used a "poor man's shield", a couple of pieces of aluminum foil. It helped considerably! As a matter of fact, I could then advance the audio of the speech amp enough to achieve good modulation. So, I am now on a quest to find some way of shielding the 2A3's. I'm afraid my temporary foil shields would cause the tubes to over heat, plus it's not the best way of doing it. Have you had any experience with this? I wonder if the 100th's are also part of the problem. I really think the "talk back" is coming from the modulation transformer, which I can live with. I just have to get the feedback out of it.

Thanks for your assistance and advice,
Rick/K5IZ

Mike Sawyer wrote:

Rick,
The UTC may work so don't discount it. Those I and H model transformers were only about half the size as the D and E models. I can't think of the company that made them but they were substantially different then the earlier models. As always, your mileage may vary.
Mod-U-Lator,
Mike(y)
W3SLK