Don,

   All that you said is true. The Trapezoid has
special significance to those running linear amplified
AM, or efficiency modulated finals. In these cases the
plate loading control may have a profound impact on
linearity, and this is usually not obvious with the
envelope pattern. For you plate modulators out there,
the trapezoid is less important. Still, take a Viking
I, put in on 10 meters with marginal grid drive, and
the linearity as seen on the trapezoid will be pretty
curvy, and will straighten out on the lower bands..

Jim