Hi Dave,

What the MFJ will show you at the end of your feed line is the result of the
feed line and antenna as you noted. The only way to know where the antenna
itself is resonant is to measure it right at the antenna. Or you can measure
it through a 1/2 wave length of feed line which will reflect what is at the
antenna to the other end. However that is only good at one frequency, where
the feed line is exactly 1/2 wave length.

A coax length of anything other than a 1/2 wave length is going to transform
the impedance seen at the antenna (if it is not 50 ohms) to something else
at the other end of it.

By having the meter in the shack showing a low swr or finding the frequency
where the swr dips does not mean that is where the antenna is resonant. It
only means that is the frequency where the impedance is transformed to best
match the transmitter. It is not necessarily the resonant frequency of the
antenna.

If the antenna resistance at resonance is not 50 ohms, changing its length
(or frequency) will introduce reactance which adds or subtracts from the
resistance until it presents 50 ohms at a particular frequency.
Note that it will present 50 ohms to the feed line but it will no longer be
resonant.

73
Gary  K4FMX