On 5/2/06, Mark Foltarz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
The USA also had these radars, and they were moderately successful from all
indications, but the true story on this is still classified.

We had some OTH backscatter stations set up in Maine (ops ended up in
Bangor, IIRC). They fired in an arc covering up through the Arctic
Circle, across the coast of Europe and down to the northern parts of
South America from the east coast, whereas the Russians apparently
fired part of theirs through Finland, supposedly causing an elevated
number of cases of a certain type of cancer due to the huge power used
(ours were in the million watt range, so you can imagine). Wasn't
there, so I don't know how true it is.

Left coast stations came online just in time for the Cold War to end.
I don't think they're used anymore, but the ones in Maine are or were
still used for drug interdiction, and other things with NOAA.

de Todd/'Boomer'  KA1KAQ