I suspect my mic problem is with the cartridge and I will be getting a new one.

The now problem seems to be that I just can not seem to get 100% modulation no matter what mic I use.

When I adjust the scope so the carrier is +/- 1 div, I can never get it quite to +/- 2 and 1.5 is pretty typical.

On the other hand, I have no trouble getting a flat line between cycles with too much audio which I understand is the indication for over modulation.

I am using a audio generator at 1 kHz talking to an earphone, against the mic. The modulation meter can easily be pinned if I use an amplified mic but it has no effect on the top of the envelop.

What does all this mean?

js