Hello Jack,
  I doubt you could hear much difference between 55 and 90ma resting current.
The tradeoffs are less linearity (raspy audio) if the resting current is too
low and more dissipation (heat) generated by the modulators if it's too
high.  That's almost certainly not your problem.

  Connecting your audio generator to the mic input and tracing the sine wave
through your audio stages with an Oscilloscope can be fun and educational if
you like that kind of stuff.  That might help you zero in on the problem.

73',
KA5MIR