Well, I tried...I wasn't right so now I'll be left

Sorry about the bad info.

73, Larry  K2LT

Gary Schafer wrote:
You can't reverse the plate leads on the modulator tubes because it uses
negative feedback from a winding on the transformer. Reversing the plate
leads puts the feed back in phase rather than out of phase. It will
oscillate!

First check to see that you have proper grid current on the 6146. Low grid
current will not allow full positive peak modulation because the tube runs
out of steam with low drive. It is much more important to have proper grid
current with AM than it is with cw. The tube has to have enough emission to
handle the peak power 4x the carrier.

Be sure the screen voltage is high enough on the 6146.

Be sure that you are not overloaded - more power than the transmitter is
rated for. If you have it loaded too heavy again the tube runs out of
emission and will not allow the modulation peaks to go high enough.

Try another 6146.
73
Gary  K4FMX