On 12/1/06, Rick Brashear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think that is a fair policy.  Besides, I think if items are listed in
the AM Fone "Sell/Trade" section of the classifieds they have a much
better chance of moving fast and at the desired price.   I have listed
items there and had great success.  However, at times I have listed them
elsewhere AFTER a reasonable period of time has expired and there are no
takers on the AM Fone list..

I agree with you on the amfone list, Rick. I got my beautiful GenRad
1931A mod monitor there a few months back from Steve, W8TOW for much
less than what I'd have paid on ebay. I've also sold a number of items
on amfone, including the Raytheon RA-1000. It's the best place with
the most targeted audience one could ask for, if you're really looking
to sell an AM-related item. I've also sold unrelated items on ebay
with success, even without posting an ebay ads to the lists. It works.

However, I will add one thing: if you allow people to post personal
ebay ads, you will not be pleased by the results. While it sounds fair
and reasonable, it will be twisted and manipulated by those interested
only in making money, not in fairness we're used to. I speak from 10
yrs experience on these lists, after leaving the newsgroups when they
became virtual ebay-spam factories. All they'll have to do is list it
with a high price, and when it doesn't sell....here come the ebay
auction ads. Others will plead ignorance after posting a slew of ebay
auction ads. Brian can remove people, and they can resubscribe with a
new email account. Al Waller, the owner of the qth.net servers
actually banned ebay ads years ago to prevent this, and started a
special ebay reflector for that type of stuff.

As far as discussion, it's never been a problem. People post item
numbers for reference, or to ask 'what is this?' and it works fine as
long as someone isn't trying to promote a sale.

Or think of it this way: if you were Al trying to keep these servers
going, would you want to use your bandwidth giving ebay free auction
ads? eBay makes millions/billions, not so for Al. Last I knew, ebay
wasn't giving him a commission.

I don't think anyone should be required to list things anywhere they
don't want to list them. But they also shouldn't use the list to
promote their sale elsewhere. It's certainly not fair to Brian as list
admin, or the members of the list (in my opinion, of course).

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ