----- Original Message -----
From: "A.R.S. - W5AMI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 8:18 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] AM Forum

> On 4/2/07, Bill Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I for one would like to see 5-land AM activity on 3870.  We seem to have
> > very active, if few in number, contingent of SSB operator(s) on the West
> > Coast Calling Frequency.  Where are AM operators?  There is only one
station
> > from Oklahoma who checks in regularly to the West Coast AMI net,
Wednesday's
> > at 8:00pm, 7:00pm Central Time.  He also participates in groups that
form on
> > other nights of the week.
> >
> > If there are > 100 stations operating AM in Texas, why none on 3870?
> >
> Bill,
>
> There is a large SSB group in Texas on 3870 every night, all night
> long.  I have checked into the AMI net on 3870 myself, but only when
> the band went long and the SSB guys in TX couldn't hear me, and I
> couldn't hear them.  The time your AMI starts is prime time for this
> Texas SSB group, and I would be breaking rules if I jumped in on AM
> right on top of them to check in.

First of all, from what can be heard, the group isn't large, in spite of
what they would like it to be.  It would appear there are 1 or 2 stations
with others that follow on.  The offenders apparently run a tremendous
amount of power.  They are also apparently unusually if not oddly committed,
as they can be found there 365 days a year.

Second of all, they have taken the belated courtesy of moving at least
slightly off frequency (perhaps 1kHz) during the AMI net.   At calmer
moments they move off the frequency altogether.  That should give you and
other AM operators the opportunity to check in.  It would be very welcome if
you would operate AM on the AM calling frequency before they get started to
remind them that they have moved in on a very active AM frequency, or
suggest to them that they really are interfering.  I am, however, afraid any
attempt at the latter would only reinforce their intent.

I understand 3870 has been a popular AM frequency for approximately 25
years, well before the SSB guys in TX took up their roost.  I know they were
not active when I first participated in AM fifteen years ago.  In any event
3870 is currently identified by the ARRL as the West Coast AM call in
frequency.  It would be a pleasure to think they would be gentlemen enough
to find a meeting place outside the AM window.

73 de Bill, AB6MT
[EMAIL PROTECTED]