Bill Smith wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Geoff/W5OMR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<snips>

Are you sure -you- know how much PEP your rig is running, without
distorting/flat-topping the peaks?

73, etc
-Geoff/W5OMR

Hi Geoff,

Been there, tried that.. have run increased carrier, and with an
asymmetrical limiter have limited positive peaks to comply with the 1500 W
PEP limit.  Unfortunately, I couldn't convince listeners to adjust their
detectors to receive asymmetrical modulation and they complained of
distortion.

You're missing the point.

http://www.qsl.net/wa5bxo/asyam/aam3.html

Also, think somewhere buried in the FCC rules is something about operating
in accordance to good engineering practices.  Good engineering practice
suggests low distortion, fully modulated audio.

Just because your peaks are beyond 2:1 (as in a 'defined' SR of 4, in my case) doesn't mean that the audio is distorted. It's just cleanly, fully modulated, without pinching the carrier, non-distorted audio.

Read, with great attention to ever aspect to ever detail, the site (again).

--
73