This thread reminds me of the article that appeared in the local newspaper this week, explaining that the local AM radio station's absence from the airwaves was only temporary, due to a transmitter problem that "couldn't be fixed because parts for the transmitter are no longer available". It's a 5 KW rig, and while no details were given, the inference was that a "big item" failed, which leads me to suspect power supply iron. But geez, what kind of BC engineer couldn't hooble up a pole pig replacement (borrowed from the electric company) in a couple of hours, like I remember a CE doing back in the 60's? Instead, a new transmitter will be installed, capable of all the modern digital noisemakers... bah! I'd think it would be worthwhile to salvage the 5KW rig for parts, not much use as-is.

73, Bob W9RAN