David Knepper wrote:
But, you have to agree that most of you Southerners stay indoors during the summer while we Yankees spend time outdoors without the fear of snakes and other wild critters.

go ahead, and tell me how there ain't no snakes on the Allegheny River... or any other river up there. Brown Recluse spiders, raccoons, bears, coyote, fox... Them's northern critters.

Well, we got raccoons down here, too.. along with spiders... and possibly a coyote or two... seems I've seen pictures of a tower somewhere that had a snake that draped itself in and around some rungs around the 6 to 8' level... and it weren't down here!