On 8/28/07, Geoff/W5OMR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Does anyone else have another other suggestions on how to silence a
> modulation transformer?

Geoff -

The usual remedy of mounting it on thick, stiff rubber can help along
with tightening the tie bolts. I've also heard of guys baking them in
the oven to soften the tar or shellac, then re-tightening everything
while it's soft. Not sure how the expansion/contraction issue would
apply here. Seems it would shrink up a bit as it cooled off?

Maybe Gary will jump in here later with his recipe for success. IIRC,
he told me it's all in the amount of vacuum you pull on the unit to
impregnate it well with shellac. The laminations on my busted iron
look bullet-proof, to the point that the broken frame shifted away
from them slightly from the impact. I think he's had very good success
with curing talk-back, but then again - he's not mass producing or
cutting corners. He gives each piece of iron his full attention, and
does it right. No shortcuts. He took photos of the many steps involved
and sent them to me as he reworked my transformer. First rate.

And yes - we are indeed fortunate for guys like Gary. I have a spare
mod reactor out of my BC transmitter that will be going home with him
at NEAR-Fest in October. Barry let all the tar out.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ