A.R.S. - WA5AM wrote:
On Nov 22, 2007 10:48 AM, Mike Sawyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Me and KN0R, (now the fine call, KK4AM) got on 160M and ran NBFM at about
1500watts. Naturally the slopbucketeers threw a fit. They tried to convince
us that FM was illegal down there. I kindly told them to check out what the
rules say and I just happened to have a copy of Part 97 that I recited to
him. By saying this I am admiting to using a riceburner. But it seldom gets
used;>)

An AM'er owning a ricebox isn't a sin, nor should it tarnish our image. AM is just but -one- mode of our multi-faceted hobby, that let's us build and operate our own equipment, with a maximum output of 1,500w PEP, regardless of mode.

So, if you 'feel the need' to run as much power as possible, 1000w of phase modulation is still detectable by diode detectors, doesn't modulate the amplitude much and the 'big signal' will certainly quiet down the background noise, provided the RF path is sustainable, and still be legal.

I've always wanted to try a wide-band FM signal (and I mean 'wide', like in the range of 250kC). Most receivers wouldn't be able to even detect the signal, and (I think) it would just make a little more white-noise in background on most distant receivers. Your neighbors up to 5 miles away might not be too happy with it ;-)

Selective Fading surely screws up an FM signal, though...

--
Driving your AM Rig without a scope, is like driving your car at night, without headlights. (K4KYV)

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR