----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Sawyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service"
<amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] AMers all "old-timers"?

> Me and KN0R, (now the fine call, KK4AM) got on 160M and ran NBFM at about
> 1500watts. Naturally the slopbucketeers threw a fit. They tried to
convince
> us that FM was illegal down there. I kindly told them to check out what
the
> rules say and I just happened to have a copy of Part 97 that I recited to
> him. By saying this I am admiting to using a riceburner. But it seldom
gets
> used;>)
> Mod-U-Lator,
> Mike(y)
> W3SLK

Hi Mike, was this in the late 80s or early 90s?  I remember listening to
somebody comment back then, that there was a group of hams that was doing FM
on 160.  BTW, if I remember right, you can only do FM (as NBFM), below 29.0
Mc, if the bandwidth isn't greater than the bandwidth of an AM signal, and
the modulation index isn't greater than 1. If I remember right, if your
ricebox was like my FT-897D I sold in July, the FM bandwidth was probably,
the standard bandwidth for 10m FM & above - 15 kc.  Did you change the
deviation of your rig to comply?  Only a very few rigs were made in the late
40s & early 50s to the NBFM, 6 kc standard - Collins made an NBFM adapter
for their rigs in the early 50s; the Hallicrafters HT-19 comes stock with
NBFM capability, and I think the Sonar Company made an NBFM exciter.  CQ
Magazine's, Radio Classics column talked about 6 kc NBFM in the July or
August issue.

73,
Ellen - AF9J