----- Original Message -----
From: "jeremy-ca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Ben Dover" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Discussion of AM Radio in the
Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 11:43 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Anti-AM Opinionated Hams

> Aurora CW is fun on 6M. Especially when you link up to Es or F2 (not for a
> few more years). Ive worked Alaska from NH on what is believed to have
been
> an AU link to double hop E. You should be in an excellent location for AU.
>
> Ive worked coast to coast, South America and Europe on regular E and F
skip
> AM, its a blast! Im also in a CH 2 area but with 99% of the town probably
on
> cable Ive had no complaints at 120W on AM or 1200W on CW/SSB.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

Hi Tom & Carl,

Yep AU is a blast on 6 & 2m on CW.  It's almost impossible to do AU on AM
(and difficult do to AU on SSB), due to doppler distortion from the auroral
curtain. The only time it's really possible, is if you get auroral Es, then
it gets nice & clear signalwise & then you can rock on AM.  Auroral Es
virtually never happens on 2m.

A little off the line of thought, but Tom, my frustration is 2m AM.  I went
to the Oak Creek (a Milwaukee 'burb) Swapfest in August.  It's where I got
my FT-620B for peanuts.  It was my kind of swapfest (tubes galore, tons of
old rigs, including a CE-100, SX-28, HQ-129, etc.).  I was orely tempted to
buy one of the several Clegg 22ers at the swapfest.  They were all going for
chump change (as in 30-35 dollars).  But as in 6m AM, there is virtually no
2m AM activity around here.  The nearest 2m AM net I know of, is in eastern
Michigan.  So, as much as I hated to, I had to pass on the temptation.

73,
Ellen - AF9J