Now that is a technician who knows what he talking about.  Thanks, Carl.

Dave, W3ST - W3CRA

----- Original Message ----- From: "jeremy-ca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] HRO-50

Finally, some one actually read the manual!

The alignment is actually quite simple once youve been thru it once.

The way we determined which way to move that wire was to insert a plastic rod with a piece of aluminum glued on one end and powdered iron on the other. Aluminum decreases the inductance and iron increases it.

Carl
KM1H
National Radio 1963-69
Service Tech, Service Mgr
Member of NCL-2000 Design Team
----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Will" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 5:38 PM

Mike,

My book indicates, like many National receivers, on D band a single loop of wire inside of the coil is bent to add/subtract inductance. I just looked at my RF input coil (opened it up) and there is the wire.

The wire is accessible through the left rear hole, looking from the top of the assembly (the side with the contacts).

Se page 19 in the HRO50-1 National manual for all the coils.

I have seen some cases on some receivers (not an HRO-50) where the range may not be sufficient.

Larry
W3LW
11111