>It is also easy for the modulator
to over modulate because it doesn't need to deliver as much current.

John, WA5BXO

This is probably the main cause of trouble using an amp with a driver as described. I constantly hear crappy audio on the bands with the configuration. Many do not understand meter readings of Class A, AB and B amps anyway so they tend to overdrive them with audio.

Not only that they do not monitor the output waveform. Additionally many do not know how to interpert what they see. So all in all, I believe, the best way to avoid hidden troubles is to operate an exciter or transmitter is near its design parameters and reduce power with the attenuator.

Last night was a perfect example. One station who was using a solid state exciter to drive a tube amp was splattering all over the place and the person (s) he was in contact with could not hear the problems. If they did, they either wouldn't tell him or did not know what was happening. I was about 5 kc below and when I heard the buckshot tuned up to see who it was. They were all telling him that he sounded fine and what the meters should read. Wrong of course.

All this assumes the exciter is operating properly. That can be a crap shoot with a lot of this old gear. Especially a transmitter pulled from a barn and put on the air with mimimual rework.

Jim/W5JO