When I was a young kid in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, in about 1946, I remember the black Ford sedans, with the loop antennas on the roofs, cruising around the neighborhood listening for the 455 kc IFs of unlicensed radio receivers.

If you had a license for your address, that was okay. But, if a 455 IF was heard eminating from an address that was not licensed, there would be a knock on your door, and a summons would be written.

73, Barrie, W7ALW