W7ALW said: "in about 1946, I remember the black Ford sedans, with the loop antennas on the roofs, cruising around the neighborhood listening for the 455 kc IFs of unlicensed radio receivers."

I remember reading an article about receiver licenses from many years ago in England. Way back when, they also had big rotating loops on the roof of their cars but they couldn't receive anything. What they did was start these cruises in the hot summer, when all the windows were open, and nobody had air conditioning, and listen for voices or music coming from a house or apartment open window. They would go to the house or apartment and tell the homeowner that they picked up the radio with their equipment and asked to see the receiver license. After a couple of fines, the word was spread that these cars could pick up their radios and everybody rushed down to get their license.

73,
Ken W2DTC