Roger Basford wrote:

Well, what you have to remember is that after the introduction of radio in the early part of the 20th Century Britain and the US went completely separate ways with control and legislation.
Roger, thanks for that "not-boring" history - I suspect like many I knew parts of it, but it's an interesting contrast. Having never been a part of the pirate radio movement at the time, I really enjoyed listening to the "reunion" broadcast online last year, where many of the jocks from Radio Caroline and other pirates were back on the air - but over Pirate BBC Essex from offshore near Harwich this time. Even though they didn't have actual AM transmitters on the ships, it was great fun to listen to, wonder if they'll be doing this again? I knew the pirate broadcasters got the BBC to start playing top 40 music, but didn't realize they actually helped to change the way radio services were licensed in the UK.

I would also suspect the "Detector Van" would have more difficulty with the modern receiver technology - is there a problem with "TV bootlegging" today, or is paying the license fee just part of the culture?

73, Bob W9RAN