On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:12 AM, John Dilks K2TQN
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No one was more distraught than Leo was.  He originally thought it would be
> displayed for many years there.  When almost no one showed up to see the
> display, the museum re evaluated and decided to use the space.  They allowed
> Leo a lot of time to find a new home.
>
> Leo tried in vain to find a home for the collection.  None of the "official
> radio museums" wanted the gear. (they were all full.) At one time I was
> offered the entire collection which I had to decline, as I could not
> possibly provide the necessary space to house the entire collection.
>  Eventually it was donated to the Shriners who sold it off through eBay.  I
> was lucky enough to purchase one nice piece which I have in my collection.

Thanks for the clarification, John. I remember that the userID was
based on Western Heritage Museum or such, but never knew it was the
Shriners selling the stuff. IIRC, didn't the museum's leadership also
change and play a role in the whole affair?

>  Where are all the young people to carry on for us?  In the New Jersey
> Antique Radio Club of a hundred or so members, there is only one young
> person (about 17). After him it jumps to the 30's, and jumps again to the
> 50's and up.

Therein lies the biggest problem. We grew up in a time when being an
amateur radio op was a badge of honor and associated with technical
knowledge and expertise. World explorers, world leaders, many of the
famous and influential made it a point to get involved. And we sure
can't blame today's kids for what amateur radio has become. Where's
the excitement and incentive to want to be involved when the emphasis
is placed on 'plug -n- play, then throw-away'? Save for a a few folks
like you John, who bring this history to the attention of others,
we're not presenting much of a legacy to anyone but ourselves.

> My own kids don't want my collection.  The best I can hope for is, they will
> each keep a small piece or two.  All the rest will (hopefully) find new
> homes.

Boy, if your kids don't want your stuff, we're in trouble! I'm
thinking the attraction today is mainly the same as it was back in our
early days: the glowing dials, tubes, attractive design, and the
mystery and magic of sending your voice all over the world, no wires
attached.

~ Todd,  KA1KAQ