Commonality is your answer.  I know W1PE very well and when I turn on my radio
to 7.290 I expect to hear him.  However, the past couple of years that is not
the case.  So anyone who frequented 7290 has moved to 80 meters for shorter
range communications.  We expect to hear people near us.  Even the 7290
no-traffic net has problems.

There is a guy in Rio Ranchos, NM that was a fixture on 7290 four years ago
that I can't hear now.  But I do hear 9s and 8s and 7s talking to him.  This is
not to say if I hear Brett or Bob, I would avoid talking to them, but the band
doesn't stay stable long enough to have a very good conversation.

Long Live 160 meters.

Jim/W5JO