I would think most AM transmitters would not mind running RTTY, after all most of the ww2 military tx's ran RTTY most of the time anyway, esp in the RAF here, like the Marconi T1509, 350w mainly RTTY. 2x 813 modulating 2x 813 in the PA. Running the 6146 off resonance or underloaded will damage them faster than if the plates were run a bit hot, the best way is try it and see, watch the plate colour and if they are too red then back off the input a little not the other way round.
73 Max M0GHQ

----- Original Message ----- From: "rbethman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Discussion of AM Radio in the Amateur Service" <amradio@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Low Power AM?

Bob,

While the plate transformer may well handle that, you are tuning off resonance of the PI network. That results in tuning off the Plate dip. I would NOT imagine that this concept would do the 6146s any good at all.

I would suspect that a reduction of Drive would be wiser.

Bob - NoDGN

Bob Macklin wrote:
Can't you just run at reduced input by reducing the loading? Then run the
tube(s) at the CCS rating. The power transformer should take that.

Bob
K5MYJ
----- Original Message ----- From: "rbethman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>