I used to work in a shop that used these large amps made by Cober(sp) they
were of dubious lineage and repair.  My job was to evaluate repair/rebuild  and
test as neccessary, and to use them to test various RF products that were
made there.

I was testing one, that I had been assured worked ok, and I only needed to
power it up and verify output.
Well I powered it up and the gages were off of spec, and things just  weren't
going the way they should. I had one hand on the top corner of the 6ft
cabinet, and I touched a metal bench next to me.

I got quite a shock that somehow missed vital areas.  After taking a  bit to
recover the other technician (who had helped me up and had quickly shut  the
whole thing off). and I checked the wiring.  We found that one of the  phases
of the 3 phase power had been wired to the cabinet as ground...

That same shop had a vacuum test station that zapped me with 120. when I
pulled the mains plug I found that some Rocket Scientist had yanked the ground
pin out!!!

As a kid I pulled a real idiot move.  I was mowing the lawn, with one  of
those old type motors that had the metal tab to touch to the spark plug to
kill
the engine.  Well I had broken the tab off, and I figured I could just  yank
the wire off the plug to kill it.  One hand on the handle of course...
Mom wanted to know what I was yelling about, I honestly didn't remember
yelling at all.

Stay safe out there!  The stories are great, lets just stay alive long
enough to tell em!

73 DE

Ed/KB1HYS
**************Inauguration '09:  Get complete coverage from the nation's