John,

Forget trying to cast a weight over a limb with a rod and reel.  That
combination is designed for distance, not height. It will take many
tries to get a good placement, if you ever do.

The combination of a wrist sling-shot and an spinning reel will do the
trick far more easily and precisely. You can make one yourself, or buy
one pre-made from one of the many ads in the various publications.

I've placed over a half-dozen antennas this way in the past 18 months,
and it's never taken me more than two shots per tree.

Joe
KB1MPY