I would like to think Joel Hallas is the victim of a political Tourette's
Syndrome that has infected the ARRL for many years.

The malady causes uncontrollable utterances against AM whenever someone inside
the League tries to write or say something positive about our part of the hobby.

So here's Joel Hallas, apparently a sincere and active participant on AM with
us (he has checked into the AWA Sunday afternoon gathering with a Valiant, if I
may help establish his credentials), who uses his "Beginner's" column in the
magazine to actually MENTION "AM" by the name of the mode !!!!

But with this particular strain of Tourette's in Newington, I believe it
prompted him to swear and cuss that AM ought not to be on the air when more
important modes and activities "need" the spectrum.

He doesn't mean it, I hope, and I've been asking him to re-consider how his
wording came off poorly despite his good intentions.