You said: "It ignores the fact that most SSB ops now have auto-notch"

I can't think of any common SSB rig that has an "auto-notch" function.
Also, SSB activity with vintage SSB rigs is probably far more popular
then AM running vintage AM rigs on the bands today. Don't know any of
those vintage SSB rigs with an "auto-notch" feature either.

You said: "What the heck is a 'channel'?"

Maybe this is outgrowth from the imaginary "AM Window" terminology.

Overall, not a bad article although, as some have pointed out, some of
his wording could have been tailored to be more pleasant to all readers.

Also, if you haven't read it, Steve, WD8DAS, has an excellant article in
the same issue on the Chinese 222-1 receiver. Cool stuff. Plus, on the
ARRL web site, there is a file with additional pictures and schematic of
the receiver:
http://www.arrl.org/files/qst-binaries/JohnstoneExtra.pdf

Pete, wa2cwa