Brett-

Glad you found a solution. So far, I haven't heard from anyone else
experiencing this issue.

I set the audio volume on the Retro-75 up for 'room-filling' levels. The
ALC control engages only at high signal levels and keeps the LM386 audio
final from clipping.  With the 3" speaker I'm using, I can fill the entire
house with audio before this happens. It's admittedly not much of an AGC
function per se.

It wouldn't be too difficult to improve on the receive AGC action, but it
would take more complexity. In particular, an additional audio amp stage
would provide the levels needed for a lower AGC threshold. The AF gain
control would also need to be relocated outside the control loop.
Otherwise, the gain control does nothing once the threshold has been
reached. I solved this on the old WM-75 with a 100-ohm pot/rheostat right
at the audio output.

73- Dave Benson, K1SWL

<amradio@mailman.qth.net>