From: amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org [mailto:amsat-bb-boun...@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Bob Bruninga
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 7:55 AM
To: Ben Jackson
Cc: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: OT: Universal Text Messaging and Pagers (WAS Re: Re:
dream)

>> Using paging devices on Amateur Radio is perfectly legal like any
>> other radio.  It all boils down to use.  If you use it for setting up
>> a one-way systemm for a pizza delivery service, it is clearly
>> illegal.  If you use it as part of your overall local communications
>> network of amateur radio volunters it is just one more tool in the
>> tool box.
>
> Unfortunately, the way Part 97 currently reads is that most pager
> transmissions to an individual are illegal under ยง97.111(b), as it is
> a "one way"
> transmission that, in most cases, would not qualify under the "legal"
> list.

Sorry, one can also claim that every transmission is one-way because only
under full duplex conditions is a system truely two-way.   There are all
kinds of applications in amateur radio where one side of the link uses
different hardware than the other return side, and once can make all kinds
of arguments as to how much delay is involved between the transmission and
the receiption.. 3 seconds?  10 seconds, a minute?  10 minutes?  A day?
When you make a call to a party TO ESTABLISH commmunications it is one way,
until the person gets his system going and responds.

In my mind a pager is just another way  of making the call.  THe intent is
NOT ONE WAY, it is to provide a call-up or a message as part of a CLEARLY
TWO-WAY amateur network.

There is no reason to nit pick rules.  When one is broadcasting (one way) to
the general public or using amateur radio inappropriately, I think everyone
can tell when it is blatanly illegal.  I just don't see the FCC cares one
nit about some of these debates when any one can see that hams are taking
initiative to better their use of the radio art.

>> You just have to ignore the curmudgeons who have nothing better to do
>> than nit-pick ways to prevent other hams from developing useful
>> applications of technology.  A pager is simply the text-to-user
>> device integrated into the normal local 2-way amateur radio
>> communications system.
>
> The issue is that, according to Part 97, it can't be used beyond QSTs,
> telemetry, or "necessary"
> emergency communications.  Could I get away with setting up such a
> system? Likely. Do I foot to stand on when my local OO comes knocking?
> Not so much.

Some OO's are part of the problem, not the solution...

>> An amateur satellite would make a great downlink to these pagers.
>> Again, the goal should simply be, any message, any time, anywhere
>> using any device to any user by callsign alone.

Bob, WB4APR